Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: I am being interviewed by OReilly
Date
List pgsql-general
Jochem van Dieten <jochemd@oli.tudelft.nl> writes:
>> Stay far far away from any name including "SQL Server".

> IIRC SQL Server (or "SQL-server" to be exact) is just a definition from
> the SQL standard. I doubt whether Microsoft can monopolize something
> like that (the SQL standard was there first right?).

Microsoft has managed to make "Windows" into a trademark, even though
it's by rights a generic term.  Yes, I know the name of their product
is really "Microsoft Windows", but just try calling something "Windows"
and see what happens ...

Even if we avoid any trademark problems, "Postgres SQL Server" just
seems way too much like a me-too name.  It *will* cause confusion
with Microsoft's product.

            regards, tom lane