query tool csv/txt output file extension choice and encoding - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Alain Dupeyron
Subject query tool csv/txt output file extension choice and encoding
Date
Re: query tool csv/txt output file extension choice and encoding  (Doug Reed <r.douglas.reed@gmail.com>)
List pgadmin-support
Hi,

I'm using frequently the download file function in the query tool. In previous version of PgAdmin4, I select field separator ";"  and file was always generated with extension .csv and can be opened directly by Excel in one click with correct columns !

Now I have always .txt extension (since 4.28 or before, I'm in PgAdmin 4.29 for now) but the .txt file do not open directly in excel
I Have to launch excel and open it but colums are not detected in my French excel, I have to convert data...(idem with TAB separator)...fastidious !
Or I have to save the file from the browser, then navigate to file, then I change its extension to .csv, confirm and then the file is opened correctly...fastidious !

When I choose field separator "," in PgAdmin, then file is generated with extension .csv but colums are not detected in French Excel (comma is the decimal number separator in France...)

=> How can I "force" or choose in Pgadmin to always generate file with extension .csv independently of selected field separator ?

2nd point: Can we choose file encoding of generated file too ? it's in UTF-8 now (was plateform dependant in PgAdmin 3?)
accentuated characters are not detected corretly by french excel (expecting by default my Windows-1252 plateform encoding), I have to import file in excel and to select the right utf8 encoding in a huge encoding list...

Other approach : copy from query result then paste in excel and save the file myself...
accent are ok but column header are missing, I need to select the option on each new query tab "copy with header" => there is no pgAdmin preferences for that point ? (was in PgAdmin 3)

Yes we can blame Excel/Windows and csv format but it's the only download format proposed here  for spreadsheet tool and only theses 2-3 configurations are missing to parametrize it as expected by end user platform...

Thanks