Re: Runaway Instances of Postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Michael Swierczek
Subject Re: Runaway Instances of Postmaster
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 5 Mar 2007 08:50:49 -0800, ccannick <ccannick@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm running v8.0 on Linux and am seeing the following phenomenon:
>
> With each connection, I get more and more postmasters running that
> never complete, die, or timeout.  Eventually all of my memory is
> depleted and the system is severely hampered.

I could be wrong, but I believe you need exclusive access to the
database in order to perform a full vacuum.   If someone was
attempting a full vacuum while other connections to the database were
active, that might explain your problem.

I'm guessing that's unlikely, but I thought I would mention the possibility.

-Mike