Re: Perc 3 DC - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Glyn Astill
Subject Re: Perc 3 DC
Date
List pgsql-performance
--- On Sat, 22/11/08, Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> wrote:

> I had an old workstation with a 4 port SATA card (no raid) running
> software raid and it handily stomps this 8 disk machine into the ground.

Yeah, I think this machine will be going that route.

> We had a bunch of 18xx series servers last company I was at
> (we went
> from unix / linux to Microsoft, so ordered some 400
> machines to
> replace a dozen or so unix machines)

I'm not surprised. We've just had some management "inserted" to make decisions like that for us. Honestly if I get
askedone more time why we're not utilizing iSCSI or <insert buzzword here> more .... But that's another matter.

> I think as much as anything the busses on the dells are the
> problem,
> resulting in pretty poor throughput, especially true of the
> old
> serverworks chipset machines.  Those things are pretty much
> boat
> anchors.

Funny that, possibly explains some of the useless supermicro hardware I had a while back.