Re: postgresql.conf: patch to have ParseConfigFile report all parsing errors, then bail - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: postgresql.conf: patch to have ParseConfigFile report all parsing errors, then bail
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Not that this has anything to do with the patch at hand, but I remember
> thinking about this sort of error message in the past.  Would it be
> appropriate to move the file name and line number to an errcontext()
> field?

I think the message is fine as is.  If you moved that information then
you'd have nothing left in the base message but "syntax error", which
is useless.

> I know somebody is going to say "but errcontext is not shown when
> verbosity is set to terse", to which I say that we should fix that too.

No, because the whole point of terse is to be terse.  Adding context
to the output would just create a demand for "super terse" mode.