Re: pg_regress starting postmaster - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pg_regress starting postmaster
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
>> No.  We're a very long way away from considering removing the
>> postmaster symlink, so it doesn't matter.

> Well, per previous discussion, we're removing postmaster.exe from the
> win32 installer, because it bloats the distribution wihtout any gain
> (remember - windows doesn't have symlinks, so we need a complete copy of
> a file that's 4Mb or so). So it would matter there.

Well, you could copy postgres.exe to postmaster.exe during install, so
I don't think you ever did need to bloat the distribution, only the
install footprint.  The question here is whether you're ready to break
existing custom scripts for starting the postmaster.  Maybe there are
none such in the wild on Windows, but I'd be hesitant to assume that.