Re: UTF8 conversion - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: UTF8 conversion
Date
List pgsql-docs
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> I cannot get psql to accept an UTF8 string, link update .. set ... =
> 'josé';

What this sounds like is some confusion in your locale and/or encoding
settings.  While perhaps we could improve the documentation about that
area, it's impossible to guess what would help you, since it's not
clear exactly what's wrong.

> I can go in a song and dance about my settings. Believe me, I a proper
> client_encoding and database encoding, and done umpteen attempts, but using
> UTF8 in psql queries (without UGLY \u notation) appears completely
> impossible.

Without those details it's really impossible to say much.  But I'm
suspicious that this isn't a Postgres issue at all really, but something
not right about your terminal settings and/or locale environment
variables.

Anyway, a documentation comment box isn't the right place for this kind of
support, and I seriously doubt that there's any bug here either.  Please
send more detail to the pgsql-general mailing list, and we'll see if we
can work this out.

            regards, tom lane