Re: Vacuum Full - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Vacuum Full
Date
List pgsql-admin
Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com> writes:
> Nowadays, with many many new users, and no historical context, they do
> just take it for "a better kind of vacuum" when in fact it is really
> like reindex to indexes.  I'd vote for rebuild [table]; as the new way
> to spell vacuum full;

Well, no, "rebuild" is a pretty lousy description for it.  I'd expect
"rebuild" to mean something like a no-op rewrite in ALTER TABLE.

It is true that VACUUM FULL's use case has decreased nearly to the
vanishing point, and the maintenance effort for it is way out of
proportion to the use case.  Maybe we should remove the code and make
VACUUM FULL do the table-rewrite thing.

            regards, tom lane