Re: Failover and Failback - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Michael Banck
Subject Re: Failover and Failback
Date
List pgsql-admin
Hi,

On Thu, Sep 19, 2024 at 04:46:28PM +0530, Narendran .j wrote:
> I have facing a problem in failback. I just promoted my secondary as master
> by using pg_ctl promote.it was successful.so now how can I bring my old
> master as primary I tried with pg_rewind it's not working.

You need to bring your old primary as standby first, then switchover
back to it - otherwise, you would have two primaries, no?

In general, pg_rewind is the only reasonable way to recover a failed
over primary other than by rebuilding it from scratch as a standby.

So if pg_rewind did not work, we would need more information, like what
command did you issue exactly and what was the output/error message?

Michael