Re: time_t timezone - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: time_t timezone
Date
List pgsql-patches
Reini Urban <rurban@x-ray.at> writes:
> But the time_t timezone issue is here:
>    "XSHd7 Aardvark Change Request Report"
>    http://www.opengroup.org/austin/docs/austin_97.txt
> (ERN 20 Accept as marked, page 1177)

There is nothing whatever on that page about the datatype of the
timezone variable.

> Caldera, redhat and IRIX 6.2 at least use time_t
>    http://uw713doc.sco.com/en/man/html.3C/ctime.3C.html

Red Hat certainly does not:

[tgl@rh1 include]$ grep timezone /usr/include/*h
/usr/include/time.h:   of *TIMER in the local timezone.  */
/usr/include/time.h:extern char *__tzname[2];   /* Current timezone names.  */
/usr/include/time.h:extern long int __timezone; /* Seconds west of UTC.  */
/usr/include/time.h:extern long int timezone;
[tgl@rh1 include]$

But what may be more to the point is that AFAICS we make no assumption
about the exact datatype of the timezone variable.  So long as it is
some signed integer type (which surely it must be), the code will work.
I see no reason to add a configure test to test something we do not care
about.

            regards, tom lane