Re: Locale bug? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Locale bug?
Date
List pgsql-general
Sergey Suleymanov <solt@eatpbank.ru> writes:
> Tom Lane writes:
>>> ... That is upper() doesn't work correctly after plperlu function
>>> call.

>  Tom> It sounds like Perl is taking it on itself to change the
>  Tom> process' LC_CTYPE settings.  That's very nasty of it :-(.  Can
>  Tom> anyone confirm that libperl does such things, or find a
>  Tom> workaround to prevent it?

>       It seems a startup script issue. When I restarting postmaster
>       manualy (within root session with LC_CTYPE = ru_RU.KOI8-R)
>       everything works fine.

>       Do we need "export LANG=..." before starting postmaster?

Hm.  The postmaster extracts the correct setlocale() values from the
pg_control file, but IIRC it doesn't bother to set the environment
variables LC_CTYPE etc.  Maybe it should.  Peter, I think this is your
turf --- what do you think?

            regards, tom lane