Re: [GENERAL] newbie problem on creating table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] newbie problem on creating table
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Thomas Krebs" <thomas@krebs-haertl.de> writes:
> [...]

I believe this error indicates that the kernel rejected Postgres'
attempt to create a file for the new table.  Unfortunately we can't
see the exact kernel error message (that's fixed for 7.1, but it
won't help you for 7.0 unless you're prepared to alter and recompile
sources...).

I will make a wild guess that the problem is incorrect permissions on
the database directory.  Take a look in $PGDATA/base/ and make sure the
database subdirectory is owned and writable by whatever user you are
running the postmaster as.  (Which had better NOT be root!)

            regards, tom lane