Re: Memory-leak-like effect on insane query (postgres 8.1.6) - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Memory-leak-like effect on insane query (postgres 8.1.6)
Date
List pgsql-novice
Brian Hurt <bhurt@janestcapital.com> writes:
> So, I have a couple of questions:
> 1) What can I look at to see where the memory is going? Or can someone
> just tell me?
> 2) Is there any way I can prevent someone from crashing production in
> the same way (production is 8.1.10)?

Running the postmaster under a per-process-memory ulimit setting small
enough to avoid the wrath of the OOM killer would help both of these.
(You'd get an out-of-memory error instead of kill -9, and then looking
at the memory dump in the postmaster log would help with #1.)

            regards, tom lane