A patch to pg_regress for Windows port - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gurjeet Singh
Subject A patch to pg_regress for Windows port
Date
Re: A patch to pg_regress for Windows port  (Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net>)
List pgsql-patches
On Windows, if logged in as an Administrator, 'make check' fails with our standard error, saying:

<quote>
Execution of PostgreSQL by a user with administrative permissions is not
permitted.
The server must be started under an unprivileged user ID to prevent
possible system security compromises.  See the documentation for
more information on how to properly start the server.
</quote>

But, for some time now, a Windows' Administrator *can* run a postgres without having to create a normal user; he just has to use pg_ctl to do so. Thanks to code written by Magnus, pg_ctl gives up it's administrative privilges before starting the postmaster, and hence the postmaster runs without critical privileges.

So I thought that 'make check' could also make use of that functionality, and hence this patch.

Is this new pg_ctl behavior mentioned anywhere in the docs?

Best regards,

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com