Re: Patch for collation using ICU - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch for collation using ICU
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"John Hansen" <john@geeknet.com.au> writes:
> Btw, I had been planning to propose replacing every single one of the
> built in charset conversion functions with calls to ICU (thus making
> pg _depend_ on ICU),

I find that fairly unacceptable ... especially given the licensing
questions, but in any case.

It might be OK to rip out the existing conversion support and say
that *if* you want encoding conversion, you have to use ICU.  But
I don't want to be told you cannot build PG without ICU period.

The 3.2 vs 2.8 business is disturbing also; specifically, I don't
think we get to require 3.2 on a platform where 2.8 is installed.
People just aren't going to hold still for that, even assuming
that ICU supports installing both versions at once, which isn't
clear to me at the moment ...