Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Decibel!
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sep 16, 2007, at 11:47 AM, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> - --On Friday, September 14, 2007 23:36:37 -0400 Robert Treat
> <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:
>
>> Unfortunatly I took a fair amount of sales and marketing classes
>> in college,
>> so I guess I have to chime in here. The argument against it is
>> weakening the
>> brand, and adding confusion to the market place.
>
> Actually, having "two names" is a fairly common practice in the
> commercial
> world ... there is the 'formal name' that a company is registered
> as, but then
> there is also registered a 'trade name', which is what Postgres is ...

But that's not what we're talking about. I don't think anyone really
cares if we go from "The PostgreSQL Development Group" to "The
Postgres Development Group", because no one ever sees that name.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org