Re: Performance impact of record sizes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Performance impact of record sizes
Date
List pgsql-admin
> And in talking to the questioner, I was wondering if we have this
> auto-out-of-line TOAST description anywhere in the docs.  If not, we
> need to add that.

Yes; I am not sure that that ever got into the main docs :-(.
We were so tickled with the notion that you no longer needed to
think about oversized fields, that we forgot that it ought to be
documented anyhow.

Jan's old TOAST project page,
http://www.ca.postgresql.org/projects/devel-toast.html
has some stuff that could be recycled into the manual, and I think
we have done some good writeups in response to older questions in
the mailing lists.

            regards, tom lane