Re: New manual chapters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New manual chapters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Arg.  That's something I didn't think of.  No, attlognums aren't done.  I
> think having drop column is more important than the above concern tho.  I'll
> add it to my TODO.

But we *have* drop column.

If we don't do attlognum for 7.3, there's little point in doing it at
all.  By the time 7.4 comes out, clients that formerly expected a
consecutive series of attnums will have found some way to cope.

I'm not sure that I feel any strong sense of urgency about this ---
7.3 will break clients that examine the system catalogs in many ways,
and this doesn't seem like the nastiest of 'em.

I just wanted to point out that "we'll do it later" isn't a profitable
attitude towards attlognum.  Either it's done by the end of August,
or it never gets done at all.