Re: Release cycle length - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Release cycle length
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com> writes:
> On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> The time from release 7.3 to release 7.4 was 355 days, an all-time high.
>> We really need to shorten that.

> I don't see much of a point for a shorter release cycle as long as we
> don't get rid of the initdb requirement for releases that don't change
> the system catalog structure. All we gain from that is spreading out the
> number of different versions used in production.

Yeah, I think the main issue in all this is that for real production
sites, upgrading Postgres across major releases is *painful*.  We have
to find a solution to that before it makes sense to speed up the
major-release cycle.

By the same token, I'm not sure that there's much of a market for
"development" releases --- people who find a 7.3->7.4 upgrade painful
aren't going to want to add additional upgrades to incompatible
intermediate states.  If we could fix that, there'd be more interest.