Re: PG 11 feature count - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: PG 11 feature count
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 18/05/18 11:29, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> I regularly track the number of items documented in each major release.
> I use the attached script.  You might be surprised to learn that PG 11
> has the lowest feature count of any release back through 7.4:
>
>     7.4     280
>     8.0     238
>     8.1     187
>     8.2     230
>     8.3     237
>     8.4     330
>     9.0     252
>     9.1     213
>     9.2     250
>     9.3     187
>     9.4     217
>     9.5     200
>     9.6     220
>     10      194
>     11      167
>
> I try to use the same criteria in choosing items each year, though I
> certainly am not perfectly accurate.
>
> One reason the PG 11 count is lower is because the the major items for
> this release are not listed at the top yet, but that is only around six
> items.

I wonder what the ranking would be in terms of:

 1. Complexity
 2. Usefulness
 3. Lines-of-Code
 4. ...

Suspect Lines-of-code is the one most easily measured, but the least useful!

Whereas: Usefulness is probably the most valuable, but the most
difficult to measure -- for obvious reasons...

Cheers,
Gavin