Re: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Vertica targeting PostgreSQL users
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 11/20/2017 10:07 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> We do have a todo list which is available here:
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Todo
>
> There is also the GSoC projects list that's a good place for folks to
> look at who wish to contribute as well:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/GSoC_2017
>
> I'll be creating one for 2018 soon (most likely starting with a copy of
> the 2017 effort) as we'll need one in January when we go to apply for
> GSoC again.
>
> There's also the start of a roadmap here:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL11_Roadmap
>
> And I certainly encourage people to add to that.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Stephen

Stephen,

Thank you for responding. You are absolutely correct that those sources
are available and I was aware of them. Let me ask you a few questions
about them:
 * How am I as a potential enthusiastic new contributor going to find   those pages? They aren't linked from anywhere
thatI can easily find. * How do I know the priority of the entries? * How do I know if the entries are official? * How
doI know if it is already being worked on?     o How do I know the progress?     o How do I contribute to discussion of
aparticular feature? Is       that pgsql-hackers or is there a issue tracker?     o Is pgsql-hackers the only way to
contributeto development       discussion? * Who decides the roadmap?     o Can it be altered?     o Why is it all but
blank?* How can I get mentoring for something I am trying to work on?

The list of barriers to providing a welcoming community to new potential
contributors continues past this very brief list but I think I have
illustrated my point. I am not in any way trying to be negative but I
believe there is no question that we as a community could be doing a lot
more to decrease the barrier of entry as well as increase the positivity
of the experience of potential new comers.

Thanks,

JD

Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://pgconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****