Re: BUG #1531: rotated log truncation broken - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #1531: rotated log truncation broken
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Markus Bertheau" <twanger@bluetwanger.de> writes:
> The log truncation is broken for me. It works as advertised, and I follow
> the argumentation behind it, but for my scenario it is not working:

> I use the computer only in work hours; it's shut down in the night.

> I use the standard log rotation thing that is set up in the RPM distributed
> by the PGDG.

> My logs are not truncated because postgres was not running when the time
> based rotation occurs.

An easy answer is to change the log filename pattern so that rotation
happens hourly instead of daily.  The setup created by the RPM is only
a useful default; it's not intended to be the perfect answer for everyone.

            regards, tom lane