Re: [HACKERS] New CORRESPONDING clause design - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] New CORRESPONDING clause design
Date
List pgsql-hackers
>> I definitely don't see a reason for CORRESPONDING to track locations of
>> name list elements when no other name list productions do.  It might be
>> worth proposing a followon patch to change all of them (perhaps by adding
>> a location field to struct "Value") and then make use of the locations in
>> error messages more widely.

> I had a idea use own node for  CORRESPONDING with location - and using this
> location in related error messages.

I think using a private node type for CORRESPONDING is exactly the wrong
thing.  It's a columnList and it should be like other columnLists.  If
there's an argument for providing a location for "no such column" errors
for CORRESPONDING, then surely there's also an argument for providing
a location for "no such column" errors for FOREIGN KEY and the other
places where we have lists of column names.