Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chapman Flack
Subject Re: improve CREATE EXTENSION error message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/29/21 16:31, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> That's a good point, the hint is targeting users who might not even know that
> an extension needs to be physically and separately installed on the machine
> before it can be installed in their database; so maybe using "installed" here
> isn't entirely helpful at all.  That being said I'm at a loss for a more
> suitable word, "available" perhaps?

Maybe a larger break with the "This means the extension something something"
formulation, and more on the lines of

HINT:  an extension must first be present (for example, installed with a
 package manager) on the system where PostgreSQL is running.

Regards,
-Chap