Re: Reduce heap tuple header size - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reduce heap tuple header size
Date
List pgsql-patches
Manfred Koizar <mkoi-pg@aon.at> writes:
> This patch, which is built upon the "HeapTupleHeader accessor macros"
> patch from 2002-06-10, is supposed to reduce the heap tuple header size
> by four bytes on most architectures.  Of course it changes the on-disk
> tuple format and therefore requires initdb.

As I commented before, I am not in favor of this.  I don't think that a
four-byte savings justifies a forced initdb with no chance of
pg_upgrade, plus loss of redundancy (= reduced chance of detecting or
recovering from corruption), plus significantly slower access to
several critical header fields.  The tqual.c routines are already
hotspots in many scenarios.  I believe this will make them noticeably
slower.

            regards, tom lane