Re: DNS lookup for git.postgresql.org - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DNS lookup for git.postgresql.org
Date
List pgsql-www
> On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 11:26:54PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> My buildfarm animals frequently complain of being unable to contact the
>> buildfarm server.  Sometimes there's an identifiable problem at my end,
>> but usually not.  A typical error looks like
>> error getting branches of interest: 500 Can't connect to buildfarm.postgresql.org:443 (Network is unreachable) at
./run_branches.plline 199.

> OK, thanks.  When no one said they saw similar behavior, I started
> digging deeper.  It seems on Debian 10, bind/named uses IPv6 by default,
> and my ISP, Verison FIOS, doesn't support IPv6 yet;  see:
>     https://www.reddit.com/r/Fios/comments/li4ri7/does_fios_support_ipv6/

Oh, that's an interesting point.  I have no IPv6 connectivity here either.
I'd figured out some time ago that with recent bind versions I need to use
named's "-4" option to prevent DNS lookup timeouts ... but now I see that
that doesn't stop it from returning IPv6 addresses.  I wonder if the
failures occur when my animals try to use the buildfarm server's IPv6
address.  I'll try the hack mentioned in the serverfault thread.

            regards, tom lane