Re: postgre vs MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: postgre vs MySQL
Date
List pgsql-general
d.wall@computer.org (David Wall) writes:
>> What then?  Could it be marketing or the sad results of a avalanche
>> effect? Geee, there's a thought.
>>
> What a wide variety of topics.  One big difference for me is that
> MySQL used to be open source, but it no longer is.  It's an odd hybrid
> OSS that barely makes sense to me since they claim to be open source
> under the GPL, and while you can contribute code to them (I did so in
> their JDBC driver many years ago before switching to Postgresql), they
> then own the code (fine!), but if you want to use it in any system
> that's not itself open source, you have to pay to get a license.  Pay
> for GPL software?
>
> But they proudly state they are part of LAMP, yet only the "M" charges
> to use their software.  The real leaders in these open source camps
> are Linux and Apache, neither of which have such absurd pseudo-open
> licensing terms.

Indeed.  If Linux had had the same sorts of obligations as MySQL(tm),
it would have wound up a mere curiosity, because there were plenty of
other OS projects around of fairly comparable functionality
(particularly if we step back to 1993!), and no one would have put up
with such in that context.
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="linuxfinances.info" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/multiplexor.html