Re: Update table performance - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Update table performance
Date
List pgsql-performance
bedrockconstruction@yahoo.com (Mark Makarowsky) writes:
> I have a table with 4,889,820 records in it.  The
> table also has 47 fields.  I'm having problems with
> update performance.  Just as a test, I issued the
> following update:
>
> update valley set test='this is a test'
>
> This took 905641 ms.  Isn't that kind of slow?  There
> aren't any indexes, triggers, constraints or anything
> on this table.  The version of Postgres is "PostgreSQL
> 8.2.4 on i686-pc-mingw32, compiled by GCC gcc.exe
> (GCC) 3.4.2 (mingw-special)".  The operating
> environment is Windows 2003 Standard Edition w/service
> pack 2.  It is 2.20 Ghz with 1.0 GB of RAM.  Here is
> the results from Explain:
>
> "Seq Scan on valley  (cost=0.00..1034083.57
> rows=4897257 width=601)"
>
> Here are the settings in the postgresql.conf.  Any
> ideas or is this the expected speed?

Hmm.

- You asked to update 4,889,820 records.

- It's a table consisting of 8.5GB of data (based on the cost info)

For this to take 15 minutes doesn't seem particularly outrageous.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
http://cbbrowne.com/info/oses.html