Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Coming ... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: 8.1 Release Candidate 1 Coming ...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
> Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan@kaltenbrunner.cc> writes:
>> hmm well -HEAD(and 8.0.4 too!) is broken on AIX 5.3ML3:
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-10/msg01053.php
>
> [ shrug... ]  The reports of this problem have not given enough
> information to fix it, and since it's not a regression from 8.0,
> it's not going to hold up the 8.1 release.  When and if we receive
> enough info to fix it, we'll gladly do so, but ...

Well, we never had an AIX 5.3 system when 8.0 was released, so didn't
attempt a compile.  Seneca just tried out a build on 8.0.3 on AIX 5.3;
it appears to be experiencing the same problem with initdb, and a
slight modification of the previous "fix" appears to resolve the
issue.

Can you suggest what further we might provide that would help?

> (My guess is that the problem is a compiler or libc bug anyway,
> given that one report says that replacing a memcpy call with an
> equivalent loop makes the failure go away.)

It seems unlikely to be a compiler bug as the same issue has been
reported with both GCC and IBM XLC.  I could believe it being a libc
bug...

It would be terribly disappointing to have to report both internally
and externally that AIX 5.3 is not a usable platform for recent
releases of PostgreSQL...
--
"cbbrowne","@","ntlug.org"
http://cbbrowne.com/info/linuxdistributions.html