Re: Request for replication advice - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Request for replication advice
Date
List pgsql-general
tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) writes:
> Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info> writes:
>> On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 15:07 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Those are two different methods: you'd use one or the other, not both.
>
>> Slony has its own log shipping, I think that was what he was referring
>> to.
>
> Oh, OK, I was thinking of the trigger-driven version.

Slony-I is /always/ trigger-driven...

The "extra" that "log shipping" offers is that you can configure a
subscriber to serialize queries into a file as well as applying them
to the subscriber.  (It would be nice to have the option of not
bothering with the subscriber, but that hasn't been tried yet.)

Thus, you have a series of "log files" that contain Plain Ordinary
SQL.  (There's a *little* bit of Slony-I-specific stuff in them, that
could be trivially trimmed out.)

Those log files get spooled in a directory; you could do just about
anything you like with them, such as FTPing them somewhere, burning
them onto a DVD, or copying them onto a little USB key like
<http://www.kingmaxdigi.com/product/superstick.htm> this one, and
attach that to the leg of a bird, to implement some "avian data
transfer protocol" :-).
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/logshipping.html