Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
pg@rbt.ca (Rod Taylor) writes:
> On Wed, 2003-11-12 at 11:46, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> >Do they require you to sign over the copyright even if you do not wish
>> >to include your code in their distribution but intend to simply fork it?
>> >
>> No that would be illegal.
>
> I was unsure whether they used a modified GPL which could have such a
> restriction.

But the _practical_ restriction is the important one.

If MySQL AB were to include others' contributions _without_ an
assignment of copyright, then that would prevent inclusion of such
contributions in the 'proprietary fork.'

That would outright *destroy* their business model based on charging
licensing fees on the 'commercially licensed' version.
--
output = reverse("ofni.smrytrebil" "@" "enworbbc")
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>