Re: High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dan Kogan
Subject Re: High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04
Date
List pgsql-performance
Just to be clear - I was describing the current situation in our production.

We were running pgbench on different Ununtu versions today.  I don’t have 12.04 setup at the moment, but I do have
12.10,which seems to be performing about the same as 12.04 in our tests with pgbench.

Running pgbench with 8 jobs and 32 clients resulted in load average of about 15 and TPS was 51350.

Question - how many cores does your server have?  Ours has 8 cores.

Thanks,
Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-performance-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Josh Berkus
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 7:26 PM
To: pgsql-performance@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] High CPU usage / load average after upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04

On 02/13/2013 11:24 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 02/12/2013 05:28 PM, Dan Kogan wrote:
>> Hi Will,
>>
>> Yes, I think we've seen some discussions on that.  Our servers our hosted on Amazon Ec2 and upgrading the kernel
doesnot seem so straight forward.

>> We did a benchmark using pgbench on 3.5 vs 3.2 and saw an improvement.  Unfortunately our production server would
notboot off 3.5 so we had to revert back to 3.2.

>> At this point we are contemplating whether it's better to go back to 11.04 or upgrade to 12.10 (which comes with
kernelversion 3.5).

>> Any thoughts on that would be appreciated.
>
> I have a machine running the same version of Ubuntu.  I'll run some
> tests and tell you what I find.

So I'm running a pgbench.  However, I don't really have anything to compare the stats I'm seeing.  CPU usage and load
averagewas high (load 7.9), but that was on -j 8 -c 32, with a TPS of 8500.

What numbers are you seeing, exactly?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.