Re: bytea and text - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Didier Gasser-Morlay
Subject Re: bytea and text
Date
Re: bytea and text  (richard terry <rterry@pacific.net.au>)
List pgsql-novice
I hope you won't mind if I had my 2 cents to this conversation; aside from the actual format, this question comes up with regularity on various database lists.

I have never understood the need for storing images inside a database (and to some extend blob data) because:
  - being a blog you do not query it just store and retrieve, you rarely update, so the need for a fancy SQL and DB engine is somewhat limited;

  - storing images is heavy, makes the database grow, thus makes backup/restore that bit more painful and possibly that bit less stable. ..

For years I designed system for picture libraries where numbers like 10s of thousands to millions of images are common place, we would never have contemplated to store images on anything more complex than a file system. using the database to store a URL to that resource.

Hope this helps

Didier