Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Apr 24, 2014, at 7:14 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> On 04/23/2014 11:32 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:
>>> If no, the we hold off until we have the
>>> complete set of stuff.  If so, we announce it now, and announce the
>>> additional features in 9.4/10.0.
>>
>> Define "complete set of stuff".
>
> Not relevant, because both you and Andres have pointed out that it's
> useful *now*.

+1

>> So my description for advocacy of CE/LD is
>>
>> * Changeset Extraction API - high performance mechanism for reading a
>> stream of changes from the database, enabling integration with other
>> software servers. This is the core technology that will be built on in
>> later releases to add Online Upgrades, Logical Replication and
>> eventually Sharded and Massively Parallel systems. Downstream
>> developers are invited to use the new API to enable deep integration
>> of PostgreSQL into complex/enterprise data processing environments.
>> This important new technology solidifies PostgreSQL role as database
>> of choice for front line production systems that can feed data
>> efficiently throughout the enterprise.
>
> Thanks!
>
> However ... I liked your name "Change Streaming" better.  So, "Change
> Streaming API"?

When I look at "Change Streaming API" from a 50,000ft level, I'm not entirely sure what it means ("what changes are
streaming?"). Perhaps:

* Data Change Streaming API
* Changeset Streaming API (playing off of "Changeset Extraction API")

OTOH, if we leave it as "Change Streaming API," when talking about it, we would say something like the "PostgreSQL
ChangeStreaming API" which makes it easier to understand.

Jonathan