Re: One or more processor ? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: One or more processor ?
Date
List pgsql-performance
herve@elma.fr (=?iso-8859-15?q?Herv=E9=20Piedvache?=) writes:
> A simple question about PostgreSQL ... I have a Pentium Xeon Quadri processors
> If I do a SQL request ... does PostgreSQL use one or more processor ?

Just one processor.

> And if it use only one ... why ?
> Could you explain me this ;o)

... Because partitioning requests across multiple processors is a
hairy and difficult proposition.

Some musing has been done on how threading might be used to split
processing of queries across multiple CPUs, but it represents a pretty
immense task involving substantial effort for design, implementation,
and testing.

It's tough to make this portable across all the system PostgreSQL
supports, too.

So while musing has been done, nobody has seriously tried implementing
it.
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "libertyrms.info")
<http://dev6.int.libertyrms.com/>