Re: scheduler in core - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: scheduler in core
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 12:33 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Ron Mayer <rm_pg@cheapcomplexdevices.com> writes:
>> Is the real need here for a convenient way to enable and/or
>> recommend packagers to install some non-core modules by default?
>
> It would certainly help us resist assorted requests to put everything
> including the kitchen sink into core.

If you don't want people to keep requesting more features in core, you
should stop doing such a good job making the functionality that gets
put into core awesome.

That's partly tongue-in-cheek, but there's some real truth to it.
Stuff doesn't go into core unless it just works.  And having things in
core is appealing because it means they're available everywhere, they
work the same way everywhere, and they can be fully managed within the
database without a lot of futzing around.  Having an extensible system
is a good thing and I'm glad we do, but having a rich feature set
available in core is also a very good thing for a lot of reasons, at
least IMHO.

...Robert