Re: Page-level version upgrade (was: Block-level CRC checks) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Page-level version upgrade (was: Block-level CRC checks)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 5:15 PM, Greg Stark <gsstark@mit.edu> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:58 PM, decibel <decibel@decibel.org> wrote:
>> What happened to the work that was being done to allow a page to be upgraded
>> on the fly when it was read in from disk?
>
> There were no page level changes between 8.3 and 8.4.

That's true, but I don't think it's the full and complete answer to
the question.  Zdenek submitted a page for CF 2008-11 which attempted
to add support for multiple page versions.  I guess we're on v4 right
now, and he was attempting to add support for v3 pages, which would
have allowed reading in pages from old PG versions.  To put it
bluntly, the code wasn't anything I would have wanted to deploy, but
the reason why Zdenek gave up on fixing it was because several
community members considerably senior to myself provided negative
feedback on the concept.

...Robert