Re: Block-level CRC checks - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Block-level CRC checks
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Aidan Van Dyk <aidan@highrise.ca> wrote:
> Well, *I* think if we're ever going to have really reliable "in-place
> upgrades" that we can expect to function release after release, we're
> going to need to be able to read in "old version" pages, and convert
> them to current version pages, for some set of "old version" (I'ld be
> happy with $VERSION-1)...  But I don't see that happening any time
> soon...

I agree.  I've attempted to make this point before - as has Zdenek -
and been scorned for it, but I don't think it's become any less true
for all of that.  I don't think you have to look much further than the
limitations on upgrading from 8.3 to 8.4 to conclude that the current
strategy is always going to be pretty hit or miss.

http://cvs.pgfoundry.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/pg-migrator/pg_migrator/README?rev=1.59&content-type=text/plain

...Robert