Re: next CommitFest - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: next CommitFest
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Brendan Jurd <direvus@gmail.com> writes:
>> One of the rewards for getting a patch into the tree is having your
>> name immortalised in the commit log.  There's no such compensation for
>> reviewing patches.
>
> Well, that could be fixed: instead of
>
>        blah blah blah
>
>        Joe Coder
>
> we could write
>
>        blah blah blah
>
>        Joe Coder, reviewed by X and Y
>
> Although keeping track of just who to credit might be a bit tricky.
> I'd be happy to commit to crediting whoever is listed in the CF entry
> for the patch, but sometimes other people have chimed in as much or
> more as the nominal reviewer.

If looking at the CF entries, it's important to note that sometimes
one person posts a review and someone else (historically, me) adds a
link to it, and of course we want to post the reviewer, not the person
who dropped in the link.  I try to always make the comment something
like "review from so-and-so" when I do this, but I (or someone) might
forget that on occasion, so clicking through to the underlying message
is probably a good idea.

As for other people chiming in, I think half a loaf is better than
none.  We should try to credit the people who deserve credit; and if
someone who chimes in is particularly concerned about getting credit,
then they can post a link to their chiming-in on the CF app.
Otherwise, it's best effort, just like anything else.

...Robert