Re: array_to_string bug? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: array_to_string bug?
Date
Re: array_to_string bug?
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 1:28 PM, Steve Crawford
<scrawford@pinpointresearch.com> wrote:
> Although it might cause a fair amount of backward-compatibility trouble, the
> string representation could either use NULL to represent a null element as
> is allowed in other contexts or require that empty-string elements be
> represented as "" to differentiate ,"", (empty-string element) from ,, (null
> element).

That would cause a substantial amount of grief to people who might not
want that behavior, though.  I use these functions for creating
human-readable output, not for serialization.  Simple, predictable
behavior is very important.

...Robert