Re: syslog_line_prefix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: syslog_line_prefix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Robert Haas escribió:
>
>> On the other hand, I don't think this is the right way to do it.  The
>> patch proposes the following mapping of logging destinations to GUCs:
>>
>> stderr -> log_line_prefix (same as now)
>> csvlog -> not applicable (same as now)
>> syslog -> syslog_line_prefix
>> eventlog -> syslog_line_prefix
>>
>> That's not exactly mnemonic; I think we'd want
>> {stderr,syslog,eventlog}_log_line_prefix if anything.
>
> So let's have a (ugh) fourth GUC that keeps the current name
> log_line_prefix and is the default value for all the other vars.
> So today's config would continue to work identically, and people wanting
> more configurable behavior could get it by simply setting one or more of
> the new vars.

That might be workable, if there's a reasonable way to make the
default for one GUC depend on the value of another GUC.  But it
doesn't make a good idea.

> The only problem is what would we do when we implement Magnus' idea.
> Are we close to that?

Unless there's some code out there that hasn't been posted, I don't
think so.  I don't think we even have a complete design, which would
be a good thing to have in trying to compare this proposal vs. that
one.

...Robert