Re: 8.5 release timetable, again - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: 8.5 release timetable, again
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 26, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Yup.  This is a huge problem and we need to deal with it somehow.  At
> the same time, I'm worried that our beta testing process is already
> inadequate.  We've found several rather embarrassing bugs in 8.4, for
> instance, things that should have been found in beta IMO.  Shortening
> beta or encouraging people to start next-cycle development instead of
> testing doesn't seem like a wise move.  You can't just develop all
> the time, you have to test & debug too ...

Sure, but an aimless mandate to do testing for 4 (or 8, or 12) months
doesn't necessarily buy you much, either.  I'm good at focused
activity - but there was nothing focused about 8.4 beta that I could
see.  Maybe we need some kind of TestFest process.

...Robert