Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Remaining Patches Moved To CommitFest 2009-09 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: CommitFest 2009-07: Remaining Patches Moved To CommitFest 2009-09
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Tom Lane<tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> ... this
>> allows us to mark the current CommitFest as closed, which I have done.
>
> [ applause ]
>
> I think we owe Robert a vote of thanks for so energetically shepherding
> this commitfest.  It seemed to me the fest went a lot faster, in
> relation to the number and size of patches presented, than any of the
> previous fests did.  I think that was directly due to his management
> efforts.  I suspect he's too burned out to want to run the next one ;-)
> ... but he's proven the value of having someone actively managing the
> fest.  We need to find people who will take that role for future fests.

Agreed!  The best thing would actually be for the reviewers to take
the initiative to shepherd their own patches, but there wasn't nearly
as much of that this CommitFest as I would have liked to have seen.
If people take the initiative to keep the patches they are reviewing
moving (or move them to returned with feedback when needed), there
there will be a lot less CommitFest-mom stuff for the CM to do.
However, that's about the only thing that I would change: I think we
had a good group of reviewers this time around, and almost everyone
who committed to review a patch actually did so, and generally in a
timely fashion.

That having been said, we do definitely need more than one CommitFest
manager, because I don't want to run all of them until the end of
time.  I didn't actually spend all THAT much time managing this
CommitFest after the first 4-5 days - just enough to be sure that the
number of open patches was continuing to decline by about 2 per day,
and keep on top of which things weren't making progress.  But it
definitely took some time away from other things that I would have
liked to be doing, including reviewing.

...Robert