Re: pull raw text of a message by message-id - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pull raw text of a message by message-id
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, May 24, 2009 at 11:34 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> Tom Lane escribió:
>> > We currently have a (really handy) facility to pull a message from the
>> > archives by message-ID, eg:
>>
>> > http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/603c8f070905202040v66cd3054t434c0b73aa844c63@mail.gmail.com
>>
>> > Could we possibly get a similar type of link that pulls the raw
>> > contents of the message, without any HTML markup?
>>
>> +1, but this would be better brought up on pgsql-www.
>
> I've been playing with this a bit and I've set up an experimental script.
> Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.
> http://archives.postgresql.org/msgtxt.php?id=MESSAGE-ID
>
> For example, this message is at:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/msgtxt.php?id=8797.1242906435@sss.pgh.pa.us
>
> The archives are now regenerating, which will take a couple of hours, to add
> a "text/plain" link at the right of the Message-Id line on the headers that
> will take you to this unadorned text copy.
>
> Note that I haven't set up an automatic run of the script that creates the
> text/plain copies yet, so this will only work for messages on pgsql-hackers
> that were posted before now.  I'll work on that later.
>
> Keep in mind that this is all experimental, so don't be surprised if things
> break horribly (but report them back).

Oh, this is awesome.  It would be handy to include a link on the HTML
version of the page for when people are trying to pull down a patch
that someone has foolishly included in the body of the email rather
than attaching it.

This will also be of great assistance in writing commitfest management
tools (on which point, I'm working on getting the stuff I finished
during PGcon up so people can criticize it :-) but I haven't quite
gotten there yet).

...Robert