Re: pg_upgrade project status - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: pg_upgrade project status
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> * Robert Haas (robertmhaas@gmail.com) wrote:
> [pg_upgrade...]
>> Why is the deadline different than anything else?
>
> err, isn't it because it'd be kind of difficult to do an upgrade script
> with large catalog-changing patches outstanding..?  I thought some
> leeway was given for pg_upgrade specifically due to that, tho perhaps
> I'm wrong.

Sure... if this script had been 100% commitable on 11/1 and now needed
to be adjusted, I can't imagine anyone objecting.  But the patch
wasn't submitted until 12/4 and still needs a complete rewrite in a
different programming language as of 1/27.  Do you think we would be
arguing about whether to accept Hot Standby now if it were written in
ksh?  And that was at least submitted on time.

...Robert