Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2)) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Robert Haas
Subject Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))
Date
Re: Pluggable Indexes (was Re: rmgr hooks (v2))  (Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
>> The fact the patch does not do anything that anyone might ever want is
>> not a sufficient grounds for rejecting it.
>
> Huh? That sounds like enough of a reason to me.

s/anything that anyone might ever want/everything that anyone might ever want/

>> Much ink has been spilled in this space over the size and difficulty
>> of reviewing Simon's hot standby patch, on the grounds that it is big
>> and changed many things.  Of course, Simon did submit an earlier
>> version of this patch that was less big and changed fewer things, and
>> it was never committed even though Simon responded to all of the
>> review comments.
>
> What patch was that?

Infrastructure changes for recovery was an earlier version of hot
standby.  That's all I was referring to here.

> You're confusing things. I'm objecting this rmgr patch, but I'm spending all
> the spare time I have to review the hot standby patch. It *does* and *has*
> required a lot of fixing to get it into committable form. I feel that it's
> pretty close now, but I'm waiting for his latest version and I still need to
> go through it more closely before I feel comfortable enough to commit.
>
> (I should also say that if any of the other committers feels differently and
> wants to pick up this rmgr patch and commit it, that's fine with me
> (assuming the code is fine))

Hmm, well, not feeling that the patch is a priority for you seems
somewhat different than saying that it should be rejected outright.

I am glad to hear that Hot Standby is still on the road to being
committed, but even as a regular reader of -hackers I have to say the
process has been somewhat murky to me.  Either there is a lot of
discussion that has been happening off-list, or there are long pauses
when either you or Simon aren't really corresponding and it isn't
obvious in whose court the ball lies.  Based on what I've seen
on-list, I sort of thought that Simon was waiting for you to take the
next step by committing at least some portion of the patch.  Needless
to say if you're both waiting for each other nothing will get done.

...Robert