Re: postgresql books - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: postgresql books
Date
List pgsql-general
sql@zeouane.org writes:
> Christopher Browne <cbbrowne@acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Centuries ago, Nostradamus foresaw when sql@zeouane.org would write:

>> > I saw an O'Reilly book [1] this afternoon at a bookshop here in
>> > Paris ..  'had to fight the urge to get my credit card out ... :-)
>> > Anyone know if it's any good ?
>>
>> It's a bit dated, being based on the state of things in the 6.5/7.0
>> days, but is still quite useful.
>>
>> It's frankly the one I keep on my desk the most, as I particularly
>> like its summary of the built-in functions of any of the books out
>> there.
>>
>> The Douglas & Douglas book has one of the best descriptions going on
>> how to read query plans, so it's plenty useful in that regard...
>
> Thing is, does it give more info than the User and Programmers' guides,
> which I already have in pdf format from the site ?

There is more material in general in the documentation provided with
PostgreSQL, and that material is more up to date.

But if you want a "dead trees" copy of something that you can take
places where you don't have a computer, PDF files aren't generally too
much good.

I know I pull out _Practical PostgreSQL_ more often than I do the
Douglas & Douglas book, despite the latter being quite a lot newer.
--
(format nil "~S@~S" "cbbrowne" "acm.org")
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html