Re: Slightly OT. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Slightly OT.
Date
List pgsql-general
gonzales@linuxlouis.net writes:
> I'm disappointed because SLONY-II has not been released yet to support
> multi-master replication!  PostgreSQL is going through all of the
> releases - and that's great - BUT, where is the sync-up with the
> powerhouse of a component, that Slony-II would bring to the table?
> Slony-I is pretty sweet, but if Slony-II would release, I can imagine
> that this would introduce some major competition in the enterprise
> world against the commercial dyno's.

There is some effort still going into Postgres-R from a research
perspective, but as far as I know, nobody has been working on Slony-II
for well over a year now.

Unfortunately, a combination of factors went together to make it "not
workable."

- Spread licensing was something of an issue;
- Spread scalability caused quite a few issues (it's apparently
  tough to make it stable when using it under HEAVY load);
- There was a token passing bottleneck in Spread limiting
  its performance;
- New application failure scenarios emerged that wouldn't have
  take place in non-MM systems.

The issues built to the point of making it unworthwhile to continue
development effort :-(.

If someone completed a suitable reimplementation of the wheel on GCS,
and produced something more usable for the purpose, such as the
(theorized) Anasazi system, it might be worth proceeding again.

http://www.lethargy.org/~jesus/archives/53-Lets-reimplement-the-wheel...-or-at-least-another-GCS..html

But it's fair to say that reality did not live up to the early hopes.
Supposing we came up with a Wicked Better GCS, that might merely allow
efforts to get a bit further, and then hang up on something else.
Don't hold your breath expecting Slony-II to be around any corners...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="acm.org" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/sap.html