Re: Where do a novice do to make it run faster? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Chris Browne
Subject Re: Where do a novice do to make it run faster?
Date
List pgsql-performance
gentosaker@gmail.com ("A B") writes:
> So, it is time to improve performance, it is running to slow.
> AFAIK (as a novice) there are a few general areas:
>
> 1) hardware
> 2) rewriting my queries and table structures
> 3) using more predefined queries
> 4) tweek parameters in the db conf files
>
> Of these points:
> 1) is nothing I can do about right now, but in the future perhaps.
> 2) will be quite hard right now since there is more code than time.
> 3) almost like 2 but perhaps more do-able with the current constraints.
> 4) This seems to be the easiest one to start with...
>
> So what should I do/read concerning point 4?
> If you have other good suggestions  I'd be very interested in that.
>
> Thank you :-)

In the order of ease of implementation, it tends to be...

1.  Tweak postgresql.conf
2.  Make sure you ran VACUUM + ANALYZE
3.  Find some expensive queries and try to improve them, which might
    involve changing the queries and/or adding relevant indices
4.  Add RAM to your server
5.  Add disk to your server
6.  Redesign your application's DB schema so that it is more performant
    by design

URL below may have some material of value...
--
select 'cbbrowne' || '@' || 'cbbrowne.com';
http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresqlperformance.html