Re: Deleting bytea, autovacuum, and 8.2/8.4 differences - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From VJK
Subject Re: Deleting bytea, autovacuum, and 8.2/8.4 differences
Date
List pgsql-performance

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> VJK wrote:
>> Since Pg does not use the concept of rollback segments,  it is unclear
>> why deletion produces so much disk IO (4GB).

For an example like this one, you have to keep in mind that the
toast-table rows for the large bytea value have to be marked deleted,
too.  Also, since I/O happens in units of pages, the I/O volume to
delete a tuple is just as much as the I/O to create it.

That makes sense.

                       regards, tom lane